“Words can never tell you… how perfectly dear you are to me, perfectly dear to my heart and soul.
I look back, and in every one point, every word and gesture, every letter, every silence, you have been entirely perfect to me, I would not change one word, one look.
My hope and aim are to preserve this love, not to fall from it, for which I trust to God who procured it for me, and doubtless can preserve it.
Enough now, my dearest, dearest …” Robert Browning to Elizabeth Barrett Browning ~ Love Letter after Marriage
There is something epic about a love letter, something grand and powerful. When we so carefully measure out words to express the things that lie deepest in our hearts, it is a sacred thing. Some love letters are so inspired that they have lasted centuries in the public consciousness. But many more have been written only to linger in the heart and mind of the recipient. It is an honor to receive a love letter, and an honor to write one. To express your love openly is to create something eternal, something that’s Goodness will never die.
While we most often think of love letters being written between lovers, there are many other reasons to compose your love by putting pen to paper. Our children need to hear the song of our heart for them. Best friends and favorite people also need to hear our love expressed. The people who have stood by us and cheered for us, they need to hear our heart and know what an important role they have played in our becoming. There are so many Good reasons to declare our love in a way that will remain.
Today’s “Good Idea” involves creating an unforgettable love letter. You can craft a personal and unique gift that the recipient will never forget. With a few simple elements you can combine beautiful imagery and thoughtful words to make a lasting impression. I recently made a love letter for my daughter who is away at college. I was assembling a care package for her and wanted to top it with a special letter. We have a love for vintage music sheets in our family. We even wall-papered a bathroom in them, so I knew that would connect as something from home. I also chose some catalogue images that reminded me of her and some stamps that I knew she would appreciate. Combining those with some heartfelt words from Mom made my gift complete.
Here are the steps for this DIY Unforgettable Love Letter:
What you need to gather:
1. Scrapbook paper/vintage music sheets/seed catalogue or some kind of background that has beauty or meaning
2. Images that you love or remind you of that person. Magazines and catalogues are great for this.
3. Stamps or stickers, pages from a book, anything that adds dimension and texture.
4. Some kind of special paper to write your love note on.
- Select images that you love or that speak something you want to say, also choose stamps/stickers/or other items to add texture.
- Compose your Love Letter.
First, dig deep into your heart and give yourself time to see what it is you want to say to this person. If you are not one to speak your heart freely, remember that making this effort will mean even more. Here are some questions you can consider. How do you feel around this person? What are their strengths? How have they changed your life? What do you like about them? What could you compare them too? (Careful here, eyes that twinkle like the night sky = good, sturdy like a water buffalo = not so good) Let yourself go a little – don’t over analyze, just go with your heart.
- Rearrange your pieces until they look just the way you want them to. Do not worry if you are not an artistic genius, the recipient will be touched by your effort and the love they feel. It is more important to take the time to do this than to stress over the outcome. Just do it – they need to hear it.
- Secure all your pieces with a glue stick or other adhesive. Hint: It is better to overlap and layer some pieces to give depth and texture.
- Sit back and admire your work. Hold it close to your heart and fill it with invisible love. Let it carry your heart to this person!! Now release it without expectation – as a free gift.
One act of Goodness can change the course of history. One act of loving-kindness can release the heart, can begin a domino effect that tears down walls and opens long lost place. One declaration of love can infuse life into a despairing soul, bring joy to the lonely, and hope to the waiting heart. Declare your love and see what Good things happen! This we know, it will bless your own heart for certain because love is the water of life and it was made to flow.
People who need to love, because
Love is the soul’s life,
Love is simply creation’s greatest joy.” ~ Hafez
Put your heart on paper and make an unforgettable memory for someone you love. Create your own amazing love letter!